Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Christmas Concerts


Sorry I haven't posted for over a week, but Ed was away in France again and I was gloomy. He is home now, hopefully until Christmas at least, and I am much happier now.

I had a lovely weekend, filled with music. On Saturday my choir, St George's Singers, gave our Christmas concert. The church was lit by candles and filled with the scent of mulled wine and mince pies, which were served in the interval. The programme was a mix of choral and audience carols, some accompanied by organ and some by the Poynton VBS brass band, who also played some festive pieces of their own. There were readings by children from local schools, including my daughter Eleanor. I might possibly be biased but she is a marvellous reader and I was very proud. As this year is the 250th anniversary of the death of Handel, we also performed three choruses from Messiah (with the brass band, which was heaps of fun), and topped off the concert with a performance of the Hallelujah chorus.

Then on Monday it was my turn to be in the audience as Eleanor performed in a Christmas concert given by Poynton Music Academy. Ellie plays violin in the Academy's "beginner's strings group". I loved listening to the various children's groups performing Christmas music. I was involved in children's orchestras, choirs and other groups when I was young and it is lovely to watch a new generation setting out on a life of music-making. Ellie was exhilarated before, during and after her performance and I am sure she is now as hooked on performing music as I am, which pleases me no end.

So now I feel thoroughly Christmassy. Stephanie and her kids are visiting this weekend to help us put up the Christmas decorations, and I hope Lindsey and Andrew will be able to visit too so we can sing carols together (perhaps accompanied by Eleanor on violin). There's really nothing like Christmas music to get into the festive spirit. Have you been to any carol concerts yet, or are you planning to?

5 comments:

just Gai said...

Our carol service isn't until 16 December. My husband and daughter are both singing. I've got my own concert this Sunday, with the Gasworks alcapella choir. Aftr 2-3 years on the waiting list I finally joined in January and am enjoying it immensely, although singing without words or music is still very scary.

Anonymous said...

It's all 'go' here on the Christmas music front. Emily's got a school choir performance in a local old folks' hospital tomorrow, community carol service/school choir showcase on Thursday and her school concert (which will probably have naff all to do with Christmas) next week. I'm in the same community carol service/choir showcase on Thursday, something or other in the week before Christmas, and on 23rd December a singalongabrassband thingy outside or in a doctors' surgery. For the sake of any patients with severe headaches etc I hope it's not actually in the waiting room...

Fran

Yellow said...

the kids to Roker Park where the Salvation Army were playing, and our neighbouring junior school was singing. We were bundled up in scarfs, hats and gloves, and we sang along too. Well, I did anyway.
And TJ now has his name down to learn trumpet next term. He's loving his chalumeau lessons too, a baroque intrument which looks like a recorder but has a clarinet mouthpiece, and sounds like a hippo farting.

Anonymous said...

Yellow, what a wonderful description! I probably don't want to know how you know the sound a hippo makes... ;)

That said, I do know what you mean. I immediately thought of the Kelhorn
http://www.susato.com/konakart/SelectCat.do?catId=151&prodsFound=11&redir=true&category=Kelhorns

Fran

Anonymous said...

Singing is so good for the soul :-) I'm not in any *concerts*, but we have enough services coming up over the next few weeks to more than make up for it!