1. They taste great with cold meats, in cheese sandwiches, or with a pork pie
2. It's really easy. Honest. I know some people are preserve-phobic but there's no need to be
3. Home-made chutney makes a great Christmas present, thank-you gift, welcome-new-neighbour gift, I'm-sorry-my-bees-attacked-you-and-stung-your-dog peace offering etc.
4. Your friends and neighbours are avoiding you in case you give them any more runner beans or courgettes, but you need to use up the surplus veg somehow
5. Not everything is cheaper to make than to buy, but chutney is (especially if you're using up home-grown gluts or hedgerow forage)
6. You cannot buy anything in the shops that's nearly as good as home-made chutney
7. Have you read the ingredients label on shop-bought chutney?
8. You can get creative in so many ways - different herbs and spices in the recipe, fancy labels, little fabric hats and ribbons. It's great fun
9. They always go really well at Christmas fairs, summer fetes and other fund raising events
10. There's nothing like the feeling that a well-stocked store cupboard gives you, especially when the contents are home-made