Monday, August 28, 2006

Cold frame

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary. Traditionally one gives lace, but we agreed on our own rules for gifts this year, in keeping with our goals of self-sufficient living.


  • Maximum spend of £20
  • Gifts to be second-hand, recycled, or hand-made
  • Gifts to be thoughtful, personal and appropriate

I gave Ed some second-hand books I bought on eBay, by one of his favourite authors. He made me a cold frame out of recycled materials, for the allotment.

I am delighted with it and couldn't wait to find the right spot for it. I'll soon be filling it up with seedlings of winter veg, like winter cabbage. Already the weather is cold enough that little seedlings will benefit from the shelter.

I love my hand-made, recycled, thoughtful cold frame. Much better than any silly old lace knickers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reckon the rule was that Ed couldn't buy you anything that you couldn't photograph for the blog, ie. no knickers. And I wouldn't be happy about receiving recycled knickers as a wedding anniversary present either.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! Can't believe it's been 13 years...

Melanie Rimmer said...

I know, but I was a child bride . . .