Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter

As a Christian, Easter is far and away the most important celebration of the year for me. And it's very fitting to commemorate these events in springtime (in the northern hemisphere at least) with its symbolism of vigorous new life coming out of the apparent death of winter. All around me I see things growing - the seedlings I planted, the weeds I didn't, buds on the trees that seemed to be dead, new lambs and calves in the fields near my home, duckings in the park I visit with the kids. It's an exciting time of year full of promise for the season to come, full of optimism and courage and hope.

I don't know what Easter means to you, dear readers, if anything at all. But I hope it is a happy time of year for you all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A happy Easter, Mel, to you and all yours and to your readers too. May the wind be light at your back, the sun be warm on your face and the divil half-an hour behind you.

Jo said...

Happy Easter to you too, Mel

Unknown said...

Ah - bunnies and eggs and all manner of rebirth. Hope you and yours had a cracking day Mel (pun intended)!

Anonymous said...

It means the same to me - how wonderfully put.

Happy Easter

Gid said...

Who gets ducked in the park?.. you or the kids?..

Anonymous said...

As a heathen of the highest order, it's all bunnies, time off work and dodging churchy type programs on the telly for me :)

Wierd thing is, I found out that loads of people in my (smallish) office are Christians. I'm having to watch my language now - not something I'm used to or enjoy. Hrumph.

Melanie Rimmer said...

I wouldn't worry about it Burro. If your co-workers are Christians that means they are choosing to follow that way of life, not you.

In any case, it doesn't say in the Bible "Thou shalt not say rude words", only "thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain". So as a Christian I shouldn't say "Jesus!" when I hit my thumb with a hammer, but I can still say "F**k!"

You, of course, can say anything you like. But I advise not hitting your thumb with a hammer in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie

I came across a suitable curse for thumb hit by hammer moments. I was told it has Quaker origins: Dab and Plaster that Muddy old Bucket of Bricks.

HTH