Friday, April 13, 2007

Spuds

We planted spuds on the allotment - Kestrel, Desiree, Red Duke of York, Pink Fir Apple, and some spuds that got forgotten in the bottom of the potato pile and started to sprout.

You can also plant spuds in a tub or barrel. Although I've never tried it this way myself I know some people who swear by it. Sam's class at school are doing it, and his teacher told me that Sam took over the class for a while to explain how compost is made and used, and how potatoes grow. Sam also corrected a pastor who was teaching the children the Easter story and the symbolism of Easter eggs - now the pastor knows that eggs only hatch into chicks when you have a cock as well as hens, otherwise the eggs are unfertilised.

8 comments:

Gid said...

Mmmm.. Desiree.. make fantastic chips they do..

Anonymous said...

yup - I've planted a modest 10 spuds in 3 pots at the back of the house. Charlottes, I think.I'll post about it this weekend.

Spudy McBurro
www.wildburro.co.uk

RUTH said...

We only have a small garden and always do a few earlies in a tub or an old compost bag.

Anonymous said...

Lesson to be learnt; don't let the Pastor do the sex education lessons.

Anonymous said...

Does this mean the bench in the corner of your kitchen is now clear? Apropos of nothing in particular, I think I've got a hare that's moved on to the haggard. I've seen him up by the new fence, feeding off new growth on the slope, four evenings in a row. He looks quite comfortable up there, lazily stretching and scratching himself and gazing nonchalantly around as he does so. Lovely to see.

Melanie Rimmer said...

Yes, the bench in the kitchen where all the potatoes were chitting is now clear. Or rather, it's now clear of spuds but full of laundry and other detritus.

On the other hand every single windowledge in the house is now full of seedlings.

Anonymous said...

I got a rhubarb plant yesterday & planted it in a HUGE pot in my front garden. Any idea when I'll be able to eat some? Also, my new compost bin is filling up nicely too, though I'm having to rescue the ladybirds I find that were in the ivy I hacked back by the gate.

antipodesgirl said...

I am trying the spuds-in-a-bin technique - saw the tops of some sprouts this weekend. Once there are a few, I need to add more material. I will let you know if I get any taties! I am using a big bin, 50l maybe? bought for about 4 quid at the hardware discounter!