Lighting, by comparison, accounts for only 3% of UK household energy use. So whilst switching to low energy lightbulbs is an easy way you can reduce your energy use and your carbon foorprint, it's not going to make a big difference overall. Instead you should focus your energy on savings in space heating and water heating.
What can you do to cut space heating and water heating costs?
- Add to your loft insulation
- Make sure you have cavity wall insulation
- Install double or even triple glazing
- Exclude draughts
- Close curtains when it gets dark.
- Make sure the curtains have thermal lining
- Put foil behind radiators
- Turn off radiators in unused rooms
- Use timers to make sure the heating is only on when it needs to be
- Wear a jumper
- Turn down your heating thermostat
- Lag hot water pipes
- Have showers instead of baths
- Share baths
- Have shorter showers
- Install a low-flow shower head
- Don't use hot water when cold will do
- Turn down your water thermostat (if you always have to add cold water to your bath or washing-up water, then your water thermostat is too high)
- If possible, install a solar hot water system
I can see where I can make improvements in my own household. You can bet that one or more of these will be showing up in March's Bean Sprouts Challenge.