Friday, February 08, 2008

What's Up With this Chicken?

scratty chickenWhat's up with this chicken? Here's what she normally looks like. But since we introduced two new chickens a couple of weeks ago she has been losing feathers. I can think of several reasons why chickens might lose feathers:

1. Mites. But if she has mites surely the others would have them too. Whatever it is, she's the only one affected.

2. Pecking. Unlikely, because she's the top chicken. I've never seen her and our other old girl peck each other. Both the old girls chase the two new girls, but the new girls have all their feathers.

3. Moult. It's the wrong time of year. Then again, chickens can be deliberately contrary. It could be moult.

4. Stress. I reckon this is the most likely cause. It started when we introduced new chickens. None of them are laying terribly well, so I know they are all stressed. There are lots of black feathers below the spot where she roosts. I think she's pulling them out herself at nights.

I might treat them for mites, just in case that's it. But I think it's more probably the stress of adding new chickens that is making her pull out her own feathers. I plan to do nothing and just observe them for a bit longer. With any luck she'll get used to the new status quo and return to her old self.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mentioned this to landgirl from LJ. She says you've got it covered - if things got worse she might separate the hen, but it's usually better to let them work it out.

Melanie Rimmer said...

Thanks Linz. It's reassuring to have a second opinion.

Anonymous said...

is her comb discoloured? or is that just the picture?

I would have thought pecking otherwise...

Anonymous said...

I'd suspect feather pecking by the others and give her a spray with an anti-peck spray.

Anonymous said...

hello i just started reading your blog and just saw your chicken, if it is stress have you tried rescue remedy? I know, I know, but you can honestly give chickens rescue remedy and it does honestly help. honestly.
jackie

lilymarlene said...

I was just ctching up with my blog reading....yours....and DH came behind me, saw the photo and sad "Mites!". He is somewhat of a chicken expert. So I'd say you were right.
Is it any better now?

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie
You could try and give her (and the others) some probiotics as this helps with stress. You can buy a powder Avipro which helps or give them some active yoghurt mixed into their feed. I find this helps my girls when we have new introductions and stressful times.