Sunday, September 03, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-changes

There are a few changes to the blog. I've added categories to the posts so now you can search for everything I've written about composting or recycling, or just look up all the recipes.

I've also added a new poll. Apparently this one won't cause pop-up ads which has to be a good thing. The poll is a challenge to switch off appliances at the wall instead of leaving them on standby. I'm very bad at this myself, because some things need to be left such as the fridge and freezer. Other things have to be left on or you have to reprogramme them every morning, like clocks and VCRs. But the TV is plugged into the same socket as the VCR, so then I have to leave the TV on standby because I don't want to reset the VCR.

But why do I? I could reorganise the plugs so all the things that need to stay on are in one socket and everything else isn't. Then I could switch them off. And anyway, do I need all these clocks? For example, the microwave has a clock and so I don't switch off the microwave. But why does it need a clock? There are other clocks in the kitchen. So I'm going to sort out all the switches and plugs, and I will turn off as many appliances as possible when they are not in use. That should save electricity, and it will stop the house looking like one of the landing strips at Manchester airport, all lit up with little standby LEDs all night long.

Today's quilt is called "40 Shades of Green". Steph and I made it for Dad, who lives in Ireland, and it really does contain forty shades of green.

4 comments:

blackberry44 said...

We've been turning everything off when it's not being used for quite some time now, ever since I found out that these things add about £12 a year to one's bill. However, I can't turn off the Freeview box, which apparently needs to be left on to update during the night.

I'm surprised that you have to turn everything off at the wall. Isn't it sufficient to turn it off with the off switch? It sounds as though your TV doesn't have an off switch.

My microwave won't work properly unless the time is shown, so I'd have to reprogram it every time I wanted to use it.

Anonymous said...

Aww Mel! I like being able to plod round your house at night guided by your 'landing strip' lights in the kitchen & living room :(.
Only kidding.
My hubby who works in the electronics industry says that flourescent tubes take over 500 times the energy to start when they're boosting compared to when they're running. But as it only takes 10 secponds to 'strike' a flourescent tube, do the math ie turn it off if you'll be out the room more than an hour and a half.
But he says that the switch mode power supplies on modern tellys will pop a lot faster due to inrush current if they're switched on & off at the mains, as opposed to standby. BUT our telly is 25mAH standby(so that's 25 milli amps, ie 25 thousandth's of an amp, per hour) so if our telly is on standby for 24 hours, it will use 0.138 of a killowatt a day, so that's about 1.86 pence based on 13.55 pence per unit electricity, so that's £7.12 a year for our modern telly on standby, with a class A stanbdby rating.
BUT, older tellys with a higher standby current will work out more expensive. For our telly, I choose to keep it on standby, cos I don't want to shorten the life of the appliance due to the inrush spike to the power supply by turning it on at the wall multiple times a day.

Melanie Rimmer said...

That's interesting, Steph. I didn't realise there was a controversy about switching appliances off. I'll have to look into it a bit more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing.
Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn from.
I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
And if you want to learn chinese,please visit at
http://www.chinesepal.cn
or
http://www.chinesepal.cn/first/learn-chinese/index.htm
Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!