Friday, September 01, 2006

Quilt Show - day 3

The American pioneers used to have "quilting bees", where several women would come together and work on a quilt all at the same time. It's the same idea as a barn-raising. The whole community works together for the benefit of just one member. But each person who works knows that they can call on the community when they need a barn, or a quilt, or anything else. Participating is also fun, a social event. And it builds communities.

Modern communities are often not based on geographical proximity but on shared interests. I can't remember the names of my next door neighbours, but I have friends in America, New Zealand, all over the world who share my interests. In particular I participate in communities of quilters and we do have our modern versions of quilting bees.

The quilt pictured is a "round robin". Several quilters get together (via email) and agree on the rules. Then each member makes a centre (mine was the string pieced star in the middle of this quilt) and mails it to the next quilter on the list. When you recieve a centre, you add a border to it, then mail it to the next person. After six rounds, you get your completed quilt top back. In the meantime you have added something to five other quilts. I think this quilt is a stunner, and the panel on the back with six names embroidered on it reminds me of my quilting friends all over the world.

2 comments:

blackberry44 said...

What a wonderful idea!

It also gives you a reason to get on with it quickly, rather than letting it slide for a while.

Tell me, do you handsew them or use a machine?

Melanie Rimmer said...

Yes, it really motivates you, and I learned I could sew much better than I thought when I said to myself "That's not good enough to send on, I'll do it again" if it had just been for my own use I'd have said "It'll do, leave it as it is".

I do hand and machine work. For American block piecing I tend to machine. English piecing can only be done by hand.