Thursday, July 26, 2007

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Yesterday I visited my friend Guy in Telford. Guy is extremely handy and has made a water collection system for flushing his downstairs loo. It's not hooked up yet, but I got some snaps of the water butt on a five-foot-high stand, and the filter unit to keep out undesirables. What I don't yet understand is how he's going to arrange things so it flushes with mains water when the butt is empty, but I'm looking forward to going back when it's all up and running.

I also had a go on his new wood-turning lathe. Guy had already made beautiful magic wands for the kids out of scraps of cedar and mahogany reclaimed from old windows. He made me a bodhran beater while I watched, and I even had a go on the lathe myself. I made something that resembles a lumpen Venus of Willendorf but I am very proud of it nevertheless.
I've promised him some beeswax for wood finishing when I collect any.

2 comments:

Nik said...

I guess if the butt did run out of water and didn't have a mains flush connected then it would be easy enough to have a bucket of water in there to tip down the loo.

Lesley said...

My husband inherited my Dad's wood turning lathe and is really enjoying his amateur efforts with it. However, he is having trouble finding anyone locally to help him to make progress