Monday, July 16, 2007

Empty Boat

There's an old Taoist parable I like a lot, about an empty boat.

If you are rowing your boat down the river, and another boatman crashes his boat into yours, you will shout and curse at him and tell him what a fool he is, and all day you will feel angry about the stupid boatman, and you will go home and tell your wife about the idiot boatman who crashed into you.

But if an empty boat crashes into yours, you will push it away with your oar and carry on your journey. You won't think about it any more.

So when something happens to frustrate you, tell yourself "It doesn't matter. It's just an empty boat", and don't think about it any more.

I like that a lot.

7 comments:

Ally said...

This has helped me a lot today - no big things, just a continuous small succession of bumps from other people's boats. Thanks.

Melanie Rimmer said...

I'm glad to hear that, Ally. I told my sister, Stephanie, the story once but I don't think she really understood it. Now when frustrating things happen to her she shouts "Did you see that bloody empty boat? What damned idiot left their bloody empty boat just floating about? Those sodding empty boats really get on my ***s!"

Unknown said...

Ahhh... NOW i understand!

Her indoors said...

Thanks for sharing that Melanie. Perfect for creating more calmness in life :-D

clodhopper said...

Mel....the boats crashing into ours have become boeing 747's driven with intent. I have some time for the wisdom contained in the Tao but I'm afraid I've lost any warm fuzzy feelings I may have once held for boats unless they happen to be clinker built of course.

Her indoors said...

Hi Melanie - I've just been awarded the Rockin Blogger award and my job is to now pass it on. It'll be no surprise that I think your blog is great, so I am passing the award onto you. Just have a look at the latest post, if you want to grab the logo. ;-D

eda said...

飛機杯,自慰套,自慰套,自慰套,自慰器,充氣娃娃,AV,按摩棒,電動按摩棒,按摩棒,跳蛋,跳蛋,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,跳蛋,男女,潤滑液,SM,情趣內衣,內衣,性感內衣,角色扮演,角色扮演服,吊帶襪,丁字褲