Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Frog Central

It was dry enough the other day to mow the lawn, but the job was made more complicated by having to avoid the frogs that were all over the place. I really didn't want to slice and dice them so I had to keep my eyes peeled and be ready to do an emergency stop at any time.

I've always known there were frogs, toads and newts in the garden. One year a toad hibernated in our compost heap, and I loved going to have a peek at him. But I've never seen so many of them.

4 comments:

Polly said...

Hello Melanie, I've just discovered your blog and I'm enjoying it very much.
Oh how I wish we had some frogs. I can hear them nearby but I need to build them a little pond to make them stay a while.

Anonymous said...

You have obviously created a haven for the frogs, toads and newts! What's your secret?!
Sara from farmingfriends

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Mel. Frogs sliced and diced ain't pretty. They're much better kebabbed whole with a little chervil butter.

Melanie Rimmer said...

Hi Polly, thanks for your kind comments. You should make a little pond - even a sunken washing-up bowl with some rocks can be a haven for wildlife such as frogs.

Sara - We have a small but deep pond at the end of the garden and I think they like that. Also we live fairly close to a river valley and I think they travel up from there.

Dad - yuk! yuk!