Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Touch of Frost

I went to the allotment this morning to drop off some paving slabs I scrounged, and I saw that there had been frost overnight. It seemed to be patchy - my squash was untouched, which is good because they're very sensitive to frost and deflate like popped balloons when the temperature drops below zero. But the grass was still rimed when I got there at about half past nine, and the sage in my herb patch looked like it had been dipped in egg white and caster sugar. I kicked myself for not bringing my camera with me.

I'll go later and remove all the remaining fruits from the squash, whatever size they are. I'll get all the runner beans, too, and any lettuce. And I urgently need to look at my bees, and make sure they'll be OK during the winter.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Wow ... we had a very cold night, but frozen ... I have spent quite a bit of the day bringing a few tender things either in or nearer the house ... now I'm thinking I should do more. We're quite a bit further south than you, but still.

I can't bear the thought of winter starting quite this soon!

Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com